By Mike Kuchar, Senior Research Manager, X&O Labs
Exclusive Access: The Defensive Line Study includes exclusive details and instruction from NFL d-line coaches like Keith Millard, Defensive Assistant Coach, Tennessee Titans.
The research staff at X&O Labs (a football research company for coaches), has just released the most comprehensive analysis of the Nose Guard, 3-Technique, 5-Technique and 7-Technique ever conducted.
This in-depth, detailed study took 10-months to complete from start to finish. We surveyed 1,368 NFL, college and high school defensive coaches in all 50 U.S. states. Plus, we reached out to over 70 NFL, college and high school defensive coaches for further interviews and inquiries.
We broke The Defensive Line Study down into 4 sub-studies based on each d-line position:
- The 7-Technique Study (includes a 6, 6i and 9)
- The 5-Technique Study (includes a Ghost-7)
- The 3-Technique Study
- The Shade Nose Guard Study
By breaking our research down into 4 sub-studies we were able to identify the most common blocks each of these defensive line positions would face:
“I love what you’re doing at X&O Labs. I’m all for it. I love the research you’re getting out, it’s all very good stuff.”
Chris Ash, Defensive Coordinator, University of Arkansas
7-Technique: Most Common Blocks
- Drive or Base Block
- Cutoff Block
- Arc Release or Fan
- Pass Block
5-Technique: Most Common Blocks
- Reach Block
- Fan (Turnout)
- Veer Release
- Down Block
- Scoop Away
- Inside Pull
- Pass Block
3-Technique: Most Common Blocks
- Reach Block
- Fan or Turnout
- Power Scoop
- Loose Scoop
CBS Sports’ Senior College Football Columnist Bruce Feldman says, “One of the best resources for diehards looking to learn more about the details of certain schemes can be found via XandOLabs.com.”
- Veer Release
- Pass Block
Shade Nose Guard: Most Common Blocks
- Reach Block by Center
- Double Team
- Power Scoop
- Loose Scoop
- Joker Scheme
- Pass Block
The Defensive Line Study Exclusive: “When the nose guard feels himself getting washed down the line and in front of the cutback, we teach him to ‘pad back’ into the blocker and restrict the running lane.” Joe Cullen, Defensive Line Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars
And once we were able to identify the most common blocks the 7-Technique, 3-Technique, 5-Technique and Shade Nose Guard face each week, we were then able to go deeper into our research and find the most effective and efficient means of teaching defensive linemen to destroy these same 23 blocks and schemes.
I’ll tell you how you can get instant access to the Defensive Line Study in just a moment, but first I have to tell you that this powerful study also includes almost two hours of on-field defensive line videos.
Just to make sure we gave you everything we found in our 10-month study, we flew our researchers to one location, brought in a defensive line unit (players) and hired a professional video production company to show you how to develop instinctual, block destroying defensive linemen in 2 on-field defensive line videos.
These two videos were shot using THREE 35mm video cameras – in high-definition. I requested this so we could bring you every angle you need to quickly and easily get the research results we present in these two videos.
In just a moment, you’ll get to watch a portion of the videos, but first its important that you see exactly what we found in our sub-studies on the 7-technique, 5-technique, 3-technique and shade nose guard.
Report #1: So, let’s take a closer look at what you’ll discover in The 7-Technique Study section of The Defensive Line Study:
- The most powerful drills, techniques and strategies to destroying the 7 most common blocks your 7-tech will face.
- How to leverage the C gap with your first level defenders
- The most productive stance that 24.5% of coaches teach to attack a Drive Block. (This one surprised us. . .and it’s not what you think)
- The Big Debate: See which stance our experts at the NFL, college and high school levels say gives their 7-Technique the best advantage (we back the one up with our conclusive evidence)
- The visual key that few coaches use, but pays huge dividends in defending an influence/kick-out block… this is an easy install that produces quickly
- Jacksonville Jaguars’ d-line coach, Joe Cullen’s, “go-to” drill that he uses every day in-season and during the off-season
- How to easily “blow up” the offensive tackle’s angle for a combo against an over-block
- A simple way your 7-technique can get a pre-snap read to determine if a drive block or an influence block is coming… this works great with your low football IQ kids
- Step-by-step instruction on how to teach your 7-Technique to defeat the Cutoff block
- Conclusive Evidence: Regardless of what your goal is for your 7-Technique, we have found the visual key to increase your chances for success
- Plus much more
“The Defensive Line Study was very beneficial. We took pieces of this research and compared what we did with what other coaches where doing.”
- Eric Stephens
Report #2: And here’s a quick peek at what you’ll find in The 5-Technique Study section of The Defensive Line Study:
- The most powerful drills, techniques and strategies to destroying the 7 most common blocks your 5-tech will face.
- The little-known “call” we found in Canada that gets your 5-Technique quickly to the QB against zone read teams
- How NOT to be a victim of a trap block in a wide 5-Technique alignment
- The #1 alignment to give your Ghost-7 a better angle to flatten, attack and spill kick-out blocks
- This 1 simple technique confuses zone read quarterbacks and forces big plays for your defense
- New Trend: The little-used stance that coaches are starting to incorporate against Veer Option teams… only 5% of coaches are using it right now, but it’s producing BIG results
- The easiest way to teach your Ghost-7 the “Hip Technique”
- Tags for your huddle calls to eliminate coverages by your defensive linemen
- The 1 stunt that gives the open end a powerful advantage vs. counter O.T.
- A special technique that will get your 5-Technique off the tackle’s hip and down the line of scrimmage… in a hurry.
- An accurate visual key that only a few coaches teach that takes out both offensive pullers and frees up the play-side linebacker… we found this one hidden in plain sight in the SEC.
Report #3: And now let’s take a closer look at what you’ll discover in The 3-Technique Study section of The Defensive Line Study:
- The most powerful drills, techniques and strategies to destroying the 10 most common blocks your 3-tech will face.
- The one stance that only 14% of coaches are using that virtually eliminates false steps with your 3-Technique.
- One easy tag call that will help your 3-technique squeeze the down block against option teams
- The #1 year round drill for teaching your 3-Technique to destroy a drive block
- We discovered the best techniques that can be used to cross the center’s back block
- 64.7% of defensive coaches put this type of player at the 3-tech position
- The #1 personnel mistake you will make with your 3-technique
- How to easily identify a Loose Scoop block and stop his progression on to the linebacker
- Where your 3-tech’s eyes must be when he recognizes a Veer Release block
- Use these 3 drills every day for just 15 minutes to super-boost the read and reaction time of your 3-Technique… and they can be done in your weight room or on the practice field year round.
“I used the Defensive Line Study. It was great. I wish I had access to it earlier!”
- Daniel Hopper
Report #4: Here’s a snap-shot of what you’ll discover in The Shade Nose Guard Study section of The Defensive Line Study:
- The most powerful drills, techniques and strategies to destroying the 7 most common blocks your shade nose guard will face.
- Caution: This one technique that is used by 42% of coaches to beat a Loose Scoop block comes with a list of problems… we’ll show you the easy solutions
- The 3-point visual key that boosts block recognition and learning with your Shade Nose
- There’s a surprising new trend in what type of physical characteristics coaches want in defensive linemen.
- The single “go-to” call when you need your shade nose to beat the center against a Reach Block
- An easy way to teach your Shade Nose to decipher between a Reach Block and O-Scheme
- 1 quick changeup to get your Shade Nose to beat the center’s back-block
- Single most effective way to beat Double-Team blocks from isolation
- The 1 thing your Shade Nose should NOT do against Power Scoop blocks
- 2 of the biggest mistakes your Shade Nose can make with quick block recognition
Just to be clear… this is only a small sampling of what you’ll find in The Defensive Line Study. It’s chock full of everything you need to build an instinct-driven, block destroying defensive line.
I’ll show you how you can get full access to the entire Defensive Line Study in just a second, but first I want to show you more about the almost 2-hours of video included in this powerful study.
The 2 Most Informative Defensive Line Videos
That’s a big statement isn’t it? Well, I fully stand behind it.
And I make no apologies for it, either.
You see, in my coaching career I’ve personally bought and watched more instructional coaching videos than I could ever count. A few of those videos were good, but many were saturated with low-level answers, rarely giving me the specifics I needed to completely develop my defensive line.
That is why when I had the opportunity to produce these two videos, that are a part of The Defensive Line Study, I knew exactly what I would do. . . and what I would NOT do to give X&O Labs’ readers the best experience possible.
Here’s what I DID do with these videos:
- Multiple Camera Angles: When we set out to film these d-line videos, we used 3 cameras – giving you every angle you need to absorb all information we present. We have wide shots, close ups, behind angles, side angles, straight on shots – you’ll see every small detail we present in these two d-line videos.
- Video Quality (filmed in High Definition): We hired a professional video production company to film and edit these two d-line videos. In fact, the company we hired has produced television programs, commercials, and even documentaries. And, best of all, they filmed these two d-line videos using three 35mm video cameras (in HD). So that means these two d-line videos have the production quality you would see on television.
We spared no expense in producing these two d-line videos. But don’t take my word for it. Take a look and see for yourself. . . here’s a 2-minute clip featuring X&O Labs’ researcher, Mickey Mays, coaching a drill on how to defend blocks from inside zone teams…
The Defensive Line Study includes four Research Reports (The 7-technique Study; The 5-Technique Study; The 3-Technique Study; and The Shade Nose Guard Study) and two d-line videos:
- Video #1: Defeating Run Blocks and Schemes
- Video #2: Defeating Pass Blocks and Schemes
In both of these d-line videos, X&O Labs’ researcher Mickey Mays takes you on the field with a defensive line unit and brings to life The Defensive Line Study. So, not only will you read our research, but you’ll also see it in action.
Videos #1 & #2: Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll discover in these two d-line videos in The Defensive Line Study:
- Block recognition drills and coaching points for the 7-tech, 5-tech, 3-tech and nose guard… all 23 blocks are covered
- A complete breakdown of all defensive line stance and start options
- Step-by-step blow delivery techniques… the most efficient and effective ways to teach blow delivery
- Block destruction drills and coaching points for the 7-tech, 5-tech, 3-tech and nose guard… again, all 23 blocks are covered here as well.
- Over 16 defensive line drills are included in these two d-line videos… all are demonstrated with players and coaching points
In all, we’ve included almost 2 hours of d-line video instruction in The Defensive Line Study.
As I said earlier, The Defensive Line Study is filled with our research on the 7-technique, 5-technique, 3-technique, shade nose guard and almost 2 hours of on-field d-line video.
And right now, you can get full access to The Defensive Line Study when you register for a 12-month membership to X&O Labs’ exclusive membership website – Insiders!
Get Instant Access to The Defensive Line Study!
We’ve released the entire Defensive Line Study on our exclusive membership website – Insiders. You can join the Insiders right now and get instant access to this powerful study.
And when you join today, in addition to the Defensive Line Study, you’ll also get instant access to these other great features only available in the Insiders:
- Special Reports: In-depth special reports, like our Zone Read Concept Study, the 4-2-5 Defense Study, our Concept Blocking System and our Defensive Line Study. Plus, our upcoming special reports on the no-huddle system, quarters coverage, 3rd down conversions and many more…
- Massive Video Library: Our video library featuring hours and hours of drills from just about every position…
- Exclusive Interviews: In-depth, one-on-one, exclusive interviews with some of the top coaches in the game. Coaches like Mike Leach, Head Coach at Washington State; Dirk Koetter, Offensive Coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons; and, Bobby April, Special Teams Coordinator of the Philadephia Eagles. Plus, more college coaches like Ron Zook, Bud Foster, Tim Brewster, and much more…
- Research: Exclusive statistical analysis reports featuring all the raw data from every research study we’ve ever conducted. This includes literally hundreds of research graphs…
- 100% of Everything: Plus, the Insiders includes all our full-length, not the summary versions, of research reports, clinic reports, interviews and videos…
See, that is why we believe the Insiders membership website is the most effective resource for maximizing your coaching production.
And we’re not the only ones that believe this either.
Who’s Already Joined X&O Labs’ Insiders?
Thousands of high school, college and professional football coaches have already joined our exclusive membership website – Insiders…
Making the Insiders website one of the most trusted resources for football coaches.
Coaches on these staffs have joined our Insiders website with a 12-month membership:
>>> Notre Dame
>>> Oklahoma State
>>> Texas State
>>> New York Jets
And the list goes on with coaches on the staffs of Purdue, Cincinnati and coaches in all 50 U.S. states and as far away as the Slovak Republic.
Here’s what some of our members have said about the Insiders website:
>>> “Our staff used to subscribe to the Glazier website, but this off season we have made the switch to X&O Labs’ Insiders website and we couldn’t be happier.”
- Brent Morrison, Offensive Coordinator, Westerville Central High School (OH)
>>> “I love X&O Labs’ Insiders website. I just spent the last five days doing nothing but research from your site. I print the reports and place them in notebooks. I read and reread them and write study notes. Then I will start adjusting what I have learned to add to our system for spring ball. Thanks for all you guys do to make football better.”
- Dr. Dean Boyd, Athletic Director/Head Football Coach, Marlboro County High School
>>> “I’ve been working my way through the Insiders website and it is phenomenal. Thank you so much!”
- Coach Lappe
>>> “I am a member of your [X&O Labs] Insiders website and it is second to none! I am a better coach with every visit to your site. Keep up the good work.”
- Coach Ed Rankin, OL & DL Coach, Beaver Local H.S. (OH)
I need to tell you two important things you need to know about the Insiders.
One Low, Affordable Price
First, because we’re coaches, we wanted to make the Insiders one of the most affordable coaching resources you’ll find anywhere. So, right now you can start your 12-month membership for just $35.99. That’s less than just one instructional coaching DVD – and I can guarantee that the Insiders website is filled with information that equates to dozens and dozens and dozens of instructional coaching DVDs. And today, you get instant access to all this information for only $35.99.
And you can rest assured that 100% of your membership fee goes to support our research.
Now if you’re already a member of X&O Labs’ Insiders website, just click here to login and start reading The 4-2-5 Defense Study.
Our 100% Money-Back Guarantee
Now the second thing I wanted to share with you is that we offer a full, 90-day money back guarantee. If at any time during your first 90-days you feel the Insiders is NOT worth the $35.99 you’ve spent, just email us and we’ll refund 100% of your money. And if you’re not satisfied with your membership after your first 90-days, we’ll give you a pro-rated refund for your remaining membership.
Click the button now to get instant access to our Insiders website and all of our special reports, research reports, interviews, clinic reports, drill reports and our massive video library for just $35.99 – that’s less than $3 per month. And with our 90-day money-back guarantee, you literally have nothing to lose.
So, go ahead and click the button below now and get instant access to The Defensive Line Study when you join the X&O Labs’ Insiders!